Prerequisites: No formal prerequisites. Columbia College students do not receive any credit for this course and must see their CSA advising dean.
Textbook: James Stewart, Lothar Redlin, Saleem Watson Precalculus: Mathematics for Calculus, 7th edition.
- The textbook is available at the bookstore, and directly from the publisher.
- Some sections may use WebAssign.
Target Audience: This course is for students who wish to study calculus but do not know analytic geometry.
The course covers most of the material in the first eight chapters in the textbook.
- Properties of real numbers, exponents, linear and quadratic equations, coordinates (Chapter 1)
- Functions, graphs and their properties, transforming functions (Chapter 2)
- Polynomials, graphing polynomials, polynomial division, root finding, complex numbers, rational functions (Chapter 3)
- Exponentials and logarithms (Chapter 4)
- Trigonometry (Chapters 5 – 7)
- Polar coordinates, as time permits (Chapter 8)
A sample syllabus is available.
Calculus Director: Prof. Michael Woodbury (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Barnard Calculus Director: Prof. Dusa McDuff (email@example.com)
Help Room Schedule: 333 Milbank Hall, Barnard CampusPrint this page