- Reader Chris W. pointed me to this story about what Cédric Villani, aka the Lady Gaga of French mathematics, has been up to. I see that the report of the “Mission Villani” is now available (in French or English) and it’s front page news at le Monde. There’s also an AI for Humanity website now up, and plans for all sorts of events tomorrow (video here) involving Villani and French president Macron.
For insight into what this means, you’ll need an AI expert. I’m curious to hear if there’s anything really surprising in the report.
- Neil Turok and collaborators have a new proposal for how to understand the Big Bang, with the headline version “The universe before the bang and the universe after the bang may be viewed as a universe/anti-universe pair, created from nothing.” There’s a short summary here, a longer paper with details here.
The papers make various claims of predictions, I’m curious to hear from cosmologists what they think of these. Much of the papers does look like fairly straightforward QFT calculations, which I’ll try to look at more carefully when I find time.
- The LHC is now in a machine checkout phase, ready for resurrection around Easter Sunday, with the start of beam commissioning for the 2018 run.
Quantum Theory, Groups and Representations
Not Even Wrong: The Book
- Various Links 29
Lee Smolin, Thomas Van Riet, Thomas Van Riet, Shantanu, Urs Schreiber, Peter Woit [...]
- Strings 2018 Panel Discussion 18
Peter Woit, Richard Gaylord, Mark M, Peter Woit, Sebastian Thaler, Peter Woit [...]
- This Week's Hype 17
ned, Robert Karl Stonjek, Peter Woit, Peter Woit, Urs Schreiber, Anonyrat [...]
- Lost in Math 60
Geoffrey Dixon, Lars, DrDave, Peter Woit, OT, F. G. [...]
- Knockin' On Heaven's Door 17
GoletaBeach, Amitabh Lath, Peter Woit, Low Math, Meekly Interacting, Amitabh Lath, Peter Woit [...]
- Various Links 29