- Harvard has announced that the Chinese firm Evergrande Group will be supporting various activities at Harvard, including a new Center for Mathematical Sciences and Applications, with S.-T. Yau as director. No details of what the center will do other than “serve as a fusion point for mathematics, statistics, physics, and related sciences.” The company has its own announcement here (they might want to check on the name of Harvard’s President…).
- The new Physics Today has an article Paul Ehrenfest’s final years, a sad bit of physics history I’d never seen the details of.
- Last month in Moscow there was a conference for Boris Feigin’s 60th birthday. Videos of the talks are now available here.
- Dick Gross’s wonderful lecture series here at Columbia on Representation theory and number theory has been available on video since he gave the lectures. Now Chao Li at Harvard has produced a transcription of the talks, so a high-quality written version of the material of the lectures is now available. This is one of the best sources around to learn about the local Langlands conjectures. His website contains a lot of other interesting expository material.
- Phenomenologist Jay Wacker has a blog at Quora, called Particle Physics Digressions. The latest entry is an odd tale of something I would have thought was rather unusual, but Wacker says it’s not exceptional, happens everyday.
Quantum Theory, Groups and Representations
Not Even Wrong: The Book
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- This and That 16
Richard, Peter Woit, Richard, Will Sawin, Peter Woit, Łukasz [...]
- Two Titans 49
Peter Woit, Peter Shor, Scott Aaronson, d_b, Mitchell Porter, Peter Woit [...]
- Brian Conrad on the California Mathematics Framework 9
comment, Peter Woit, Brian Conrad, Scott Aaronson, Mark Hillery, More Anonymous [...]
- Three Quick Items 6
Peter Woit, Peter Woit, F. Zaldivar, Peter Woit, anonymous, paddy
- ABC on NHK 16
Peter Woit, AG, Ryan Pang, Nayr, Z Y, David J. Littleboy [...]
- This and That 16
- abc Conjecture (16)
- Book Reviews (118)
- BRST (13)
- Euclidean Twistor Unification (7)
- Experimental HEP News (152)
- Fake Physics (7)
- Favorite Old Posts (50)
- Film Reviews (15)
- Langlands (41)
- Multiverse Mania (159)
- Not Even Wrong: The Book (27)
- Obituaries (33)
- Quantum Mechanics (20)
- Quantum Theory: The Book (7)
- Strings 2XXX (21)
- Swampland (18)
- This Week's Hype (123)
- Uncategorized (1,230)