- The online magazine Smashpipe has the first part of a two-part article written by Gerald Alper, who recently came up here to Columbia to talk to me about string theory/etc. It was an interesting conversation, so I’m curious to see what he makes of the more substantive part, which is in part two, planned for next week.
- If instead you’d like to read about a conversation with my colleague Brian Greene, there’s a piece at Cosmos Magazine. Brian is taking his World Science Festival to Australia next month and will be on tour there.
- In other Columbia news, LHC experimentalist Emlyn Hughes has evidently
baffled the students in Frontiers of Science again. Three years ago he undressed for the students, this year the performance somehow involved a student mistress (see here and here). No, I don’t understand any of this either.
- As a last Columbia story, this semester in the physics department Bill Zajc is teaching a string theory course for undergraduates, Physics W4012, based on the Zwiebach book. While Zajc isn’t a string theorist, he is a frequent commenter at Lubos Motl’s blog.
- There’s a new issue out of Inference, which has some interesting articles, including an essay by Pierre Schapira on category theory (French version here). Also there’s Jean-Pierre Luminet on holography.
Inference is a bit of a mystery, unclear who is editing it (some speculation here). Whoever it is though, it’s quite worth paying attention to.
- The HEP Postdoc Project is collecting anonymously information aimed at helping potential postdocs (or even Ph.D students) find out more about what it’s like to work with various senior HEP theorists. No, like Inference, I have no idea who is behind this.
Not Even Wrong: The Book
- New LHC Results 24
Gregor, Peter Woit, GoletaBeach, Peter Woit, hyd, emile [...]
- This Time It's For Real 37
Georges E., Peter Woit, Anonymous, Peter Woit, Peter Woit, Peter Woit [...]
- Reality is Not What It Seems 18
Richard J. Gaylord, Richard Gaylord, Curious Wavefunction, Narad, neil, martibal [...]
- Can the Laws of Physics be Unified? 25
Jeff M, Peter Woit, jd, Peter Woit, Jeff M, Peter Woit [...]
- A Big Bang in a Little Room 19
Slawomir Piotr Wojcik, Jeff M, Bernhard, Alan, Mateus Araújo, Nick M. [...]
- New LHC Results 24