Columbia Home

Registration involves choosing your courses / sections and your Registration Category.

Registration Links

The Registrar’s office also handles matters such as these:

Residence Units

See the GSAS webpage Residence Unit and Other Registration Categories

See the MAFN webpage Tuition and Other Costs for additional information.

Your Registration Category, rather than registration for individual courses, provides the basis for tuition charges.

Students usually register for a full Residence Unit or one-half or one-quarter. Students who have completed two Residence Units but have not completed their degree requirements will normally register for an Extended Residence Unit, according to GSAS rules. This also applies if they want to take only one or a few courses. It also applies if they take courses during the summer.

Full time students register for a full Residence Unit in each of the first two semesters. All international students on F-1 or J-1 visas must register as full-time students.

Part time students are free to choose their Registration Category each semester of their program, until they have completed two Residence Units.

There is the following correspondence between Registration Categories and numbers of classes:

  • 1 Full Residence Unit = Less than or equal to 20 points.  Students who register for more than 20 points will be charged for each point beyond 20 points.
  • 1 Extended Residence Unit (Fall or Spring) = The extended residence unit is required for the student who has completed 2 full residence units, but still needs to take courses to complete the degree requirements.  Less than or equal to 20 points.  Students who register for more than 20 points will be charged for each point beyond 20 points.
  • 1 Extended Residence Unit (Summer) = 3 or fewer classes
  • 1/2 Residence Unit = 3 or fewer classes
  • 1/4 Residence Unit = 2 or fewer classes

Remember that all students in Graduate School of Arts & Sciences must register for a Residence Unit Category in addition to registering for specific courses.

Registration Mechanics

You register for an RU category just as you would a class. You need to put it into a call number category, just like a class.

Call Number

  • 11214 – 1 Full Residence Unit
  • 11213 – 1 (Extended) Residence Unit
  • 11215 – 1/2 Residence Unit
  • 11216 – 1/4 Residence Unit

New students may not register or pre-register until the registration period in late August. All new international students must check in with the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) upon arrival before being allowed to register.

If you are registered for a full Residence Unit and you are registered for courses that add up to over 20 points (credits), you will be charged for the additional points.

By the time you graduate you must have completed 2 full Residence Units to fulfill degree requirements.

There are only certain times that you can register. (Students entering in the fall will be able to register online during the week of GSAS New Student Orientation, and will receive emails with detailed instructions over the course of the summer from GSAS).  Students can only register for classes on SSOL during scheduled Appointment Times.

Pass/Fail and R credit: SSOL will ask you how you want the course graded.  All courses used towards the degree must be letter-graded (“L”). Courses graded “P/F or “R” cannot be used towards the MAFN degree requirements.


Some classes may be blocked for web registration because they require that you show proof of approval. Check the Directory of Classes for information.

If you cannot register through SSOL, bring a completed Add/Drop to 109 Low.

Holds: You will not be permitted to register if a hold has been placed on your student account. To find out if you have a registration hold, check Holds on Student Services Online at Student Services Online

Add/Drop Mechanics

Registration Adjustment Form (Add & Drop Classes). This form is primarily for course transactions that cannot be done in SSOL; such as:

A. Add a course that cannot be added using SSOL ‐ Requires  INSTRUCTOR SIGNATURE

B. Drop a course that cannot be dropped using SSOL (before the drop deadline) ‐ Requires INSTRUCTOR SIGNATURE

C. Add a course or courses that conflict ‐ Requires BOTH INSTRUCTOR SIGNATURES as well as an authorized signature from your school

Failing to attend classes or unofficially notifying the instructor does not constitute dropping a course. Students who stop attending without officially dropping will be assigned a grade.

Registration Calendar

For dates and deadlines related to registration, go to Registration Dates, and scroll down to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Make sure you are looking at the right semester and year.

Be aware that dates for Cross Registration – in the School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA) or the Graduate School of Business (GSB), for example – are not shown here.

Change of Program-Fall and Spring: Adjust your schedule and add and drop classes during this period, without penalty. Most classes can be added and dropped on Student Services Online (SSOL) during this period. So, to avoid late fees, enroll in your registration category or better enroll in the typical set of Mathematics of Finance during your registration appointment times in late August, and then adjust your schedule and add and drop classes during the Change-of-Program period. If you are a full-time student, it is preferable that you register for required courses as soon as possible. After the Change-of-Program period, you may no longer add classes.

Last Day to Receive Full Tuition Refund for Class Dropped-Fall and Spring: You receive the relevant tuition refund if

  • You are above 20 credits and you drop on or before this date, or
  • You drop down a Registration Unit category on or before this date, or
  • You withdraw completely on or before this date

Last Day to Drop a Class-Fall and Spring

Print this page