- Welcome, New Students
- First Steps for Admitted Students – GSAS page with information for new students
- New Student Checklist
- Information for Admitted International Students
A Few Things to Be Aware Of
- Check in with the MAFN Office – see The MAFN Office
- International students check in with the International Students and Scholars Office
- Start your job search early – see Recruiting & Careers
- Apply for your degree by the deadline – see Application for Degree or Certificate
Identification Cards – 204 Kent Hall
Obtain an ID Card. New students will receive their official University ID Card only after they have registered. This ID Card will be your official University ID for the length of your academic career at Columbia.
Business Cards – 106 Pulitzer Hall
MAFN students can get Columbia business cards from the Columbia print services in Room 106 of Pulitzer Hall. You can find the instructions by going on line to Print Services and clicking on Student Business Cards.
University-owned housing is very limited. To apply for University housing, follow the directions at University Apartment Housing (UAH). Information about types of housing, leases, and location of University housing is available on the UAH website.
Columbia’s Off-Campus Housing Assistance (OCHA) office provides assistance in renting housing in New York City as well as a bulletin board on which you can search for prospective roommates who are Columbia students.
- International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) – International Students, student visas, OPT, etc.
- The American Language Program teaches intensive English language courses for international students.
- Manage My UNI
- Columbia University Information Technology (CUIT)
- CUIT Software and Downloads
- Mathematics Department Computer FAQ
Digital Science Center
The Digital Science Center, located in the Science & Engineering Library in 401 Northwest Corner Building, is equipped with software specifically selected to support science and engineering research and coursework. Expert help is available from library staff. For students needing powerful computers and software to run programs and calculations you might find this a valuable resource. This might be especially helpful (not exclusively) for students needing to run programs for Math W4071 Introduction to the Mathematics of Finance, for example.
Columbia University – General
- Columbia University Home Page – (In the upper right hand corner you can search for People, Departments and Websites)
- Directory – Find People and Departments
- Columbia University Maps
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Statistics
- Ombuds Office — “The Ombuds Office offers a safe place for any member of the Columbia community to discuss workplace issues, interpersonal conflict, academic concerns, bureaucratic runarounds, and many other problems. …”
Getting Around New York City
- Columbia University Shuttle Busses
- MTA Bus Schedules
- Long Island Railroad
- Metro-North Railroad
- The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey: Commuting & Traveling
- Amtrak Timetables