We begin working on your career development even before you begin your classes. Many organizations set the deadlines for their summer internships in early fall, other companies recruit for summer internships until late spring of the same year. To help you with early applications, we organize digital career workshops and collaborate with other departments to make sure that each of you has an edited resume as soon as possible. Below please see a snapshot of career services available to our Mathematics of Finance students.
Columbia University Career Resources
All MAFN students and 2020 graduates may now make one-on-one career advising appointments with GSAS Compass staff.
GSAS Compass has Ask Me Anything office hours on Zoom every Thursday from 10-11am. More information can be found on their website.
For the latest job postings please visit Center for Career Education’s Handshake-based career portal called LionShare. This is available to you until Summer 2021. After that, the students will be redirected to use a new job listing platform provided by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.
Our MAFN students can also use other resources provided by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.
Specialized MAFN Career Resources
In addition to the university-wide Career Services resources, students in the MAFN program have access to a dedicated Career Development specialist who works with current MAFN students, employers, and alums of the program.
Specialized MAFN career services and activities include:
- Individual career consults: students have an opportunity to meet with the counselor during a 45-minute one-on-one resume/cover letter session and book multiple follow-up meetings about other aspects of job search.
- Information sessions/networking meetings with employers: the MAFN program brings recruiters for Meet Employers sessions. In the Fall of 2019 MAFN students met with Neuberger Bergan, American Express, Graham Capital Management, Capula Investments, and more.
- Career Skills Workshops: examples of those sessions include advanced LinkedIn workshops, Mock Interviews, Career Fair Prep, Salary Negotiations Skills, and more.
- Career Development Announcement Board- a digital board where we share exclusive job opportunities, inside scoops, tips, and events for our MAFN students.
- Meet Alumni sessions are meetings with individuals who graduated from the MAFN program. Many alumni are happy to come back and speak about their job hunt and also give tips on how to land a job at the organizations that they work for.
- Alumni Networking Dinner – this is our recurrent event for which we invite MAFN alumni and current students in the program.
- Mentorship program – we have created two mentorship programs – with the Society of Quantitative Analysts and Graham Capital Management.
- MAFN Alumni Network- by becoming an alum of the MAFN program you enter an exclusive group of alumni who now work for many prestigious organizations around the world. A majority of them have already joined our closed MAFN LinkedIn group.
The Mathematics of Finance MA degree is STEM eligible. This means that during your initial period of post-completion OPT, you may be able to apply for an additional 24 months of OPT authorization. Please visit our OPT page to learn more about OPT and STEM extension.
Questions? Please email Izabela Rutkowski, Assistant Director of Career Development and Alumni Relations; firstname.lastname@example.org
Our 2020 MAFN Alumni Networking Dinner was attended by more than 130 alums, students, and professors of the program.Print this page