We believe that your career development should start with your first day on campus. Many organizations set the deadlines for their summer internships in early fall, other companies recruit for summer internships until late spring of the same year. To help you with early applications, we organize career workshops and collaborate with other departments to make sure that each of you has an edited resume as soon as possible. Below please see a snapshot of career services available to our Mathematics of Finance students.
Columbia University Career Resources
All MAFN students are able to use Columbia’s Center for Career Education and their Handshake-based career portal called LionShare.
The center offers a range of services and resources, including counseling and workshops on resumes and cover letters, mock interview practice, a job posting database, on-campus information and recruiting events, career fairs and more.
Specialized MAFN Career Resources
In addition to using Columbia’s Center for Career Education, students in the MAFN program have access to a dedicated Career Development specialist who works with current MAFN students, employers, and alums of the program.
Specialized MAFN career services and activities include:
- Individual career consults: students have an opportunity to meet with the counselor during a 45-minute one-on-one resume/cover letter session and book multiple follow-up meetings about other aspects of job search.
- Information sessions/networking meetings with employers: the MAFN program brings recruiters for Meet Employers sessions. In the Fall of 2019 MAFN students met with Neuberger Bergan, American Express, Graham Capital Management, Capula Investments and more.
- Career Skills Workshops: examples of those sessions include advanced LinkedIn workshops, Mock Interviews, Career Fair Prep, Salary Negotiations Skills and more.
- Career Development Announcement Board- a digital board where we share job opportunities, inside scoops, tips, and events for our MAFN students.
- Meet Alumni sessions are brown bag meetings with individuals who graduated from the MAFN program. Many alumni are happy to come back and speak about their job hunt and also give tips on how to land a job at the organizations that they work for.
- Alumni Networking Dinner – this is our recurrent event for which we invite MAFN alumni and current students in the program.
- Closed MAFN LinkedIn group- by becoming a student in the MAFN program you enter an exclusive club of more than 1,500 alumni of the program who now work for many prestigious organizations around the world. A majority of them have already joined our LinkedIn group.
- Mentorship program – we are creating a mentorship program with the Society of Quantitative Analysts. This program will be available for the MAFN students in Spring 2020.
The Mathematics of Finance MA degree is STEM eligible. This means that during your initial period of post-completion OPT, you may be able to apply for an additional 24 months of OPT authorization. Please visit our OPT page to learn more about OPT and STEM extension.
Questions? Please email Izabela Rutkowski, Assistant Director of Career Development and Alumni Relations; firstname.lastname@example.orgPrint this page