- The online magazine Smashpipe has the first part of a two-part article written by Gerald Alper, who recently came up here to Columbia to talk to me about string theory/etc. It was an interesting conversation, so I’m curious to see what he makes of the more substantive part, which is in part two, planned for next week.
- If instead you’d like to read about a conversation with my colleague Brian Greene, there’s a piece at Cosmos Magazine. Brian is taking his World Science Festival to Australia next month and will be on tour there.
- In other Columbia news, LHC experimentalist Emlyn Hughes has evidently
baffled the students in Frontiers of Science again. Three years ago he undressed for the students, this year the performance somehow involved a student mistress (see here and here). No, I don’t understand any of this either.
- As a last Columbia story, this semester in the physics department Bill Zajc is teaching a string theory course for undergraduates, Physics W4012, based on the Zwiebach book. While Zajc isn’t a string theorist, he is a frequent commenter at Lubos Motl’s blog.
- There’s a new issue out of Inference, which has some interesting articles, including an essay by Pierre Schapira on category theory (French version here). Also there’s Jean-Pierre Luminet on holography.
Inference is a bit of a mystery, unclear who is editing it (some speculation here). Whoever it is though, it’s quite worth paying attention to.
- The HEP Postdoc Project is collecting anonymously information aimed at helping potential postdocs (or even Ph.D students) find out more about what it’s like to work with various senior HEP theorists. No, like Inference, I have no idea who is behind this.
Not Even Wrong: The Book
- Back 32
Low Math, Meekly Interacting, Anosel, Peter Woit, Dave Miller, Peter Woit, Peter Woit [...]
- This Week's Hype 1
- Various Items 20
Peter Woit, Peter Woit, Shantanu, Peter Woit, phillipe, Other [...]
- The Man Who Knew Infinity 24
srp, Peter Lund, J. Pooh, Neeti Sinha, Stephane, srp [...]
- Group Theory in a Nutshell for Physicists 30
Peter Woit, Johnny, cthulhu, Justin, Conducator, A.J. [...]
- Back 32